Our network


Hazmat situation resolved, no leak found official says

SALT LAKE CITY — Officials have determined there was no leak of hazardous material after a vehicle incident in west Salt Lake City Tuesday.

A semi-trailer truck dropped its trailer, a tanker containing compressed hydrogen gas. It happened near California Avenue and Redwood Road at appropriately 12:30 p.m. Tuesday.

“Compressed hydrogen; the concern is that it is highly flammable. It’s lighter than air so if the gas did get out and find an ignition source, then we could be in some trouble,” said Jasen Asay, spokesman for the Salt Lake City Fire Department.

Initially, Salt Lake City Fire firefighters secured the area and looked for any leaks. When none were discovered, the trailer was towed away, according to Asay.

Officials are investigating why the tanker because loose.

New U-Turn in Kearns causes accidents, residents say

Photo Gallery Expand 1 of 7

  • Submitted photo

  • Submitted photo

  • Submitted photo

Experts, residents react to earthquake that shook Salt Lake Valley

SALT LAKE CITY — The U.S. Geological Survey reported a magnitude 3.2 earthquake just a few miles northeast of Tooele on Saturday night.

While no immediate damage was reported, it certainly shook quite a few homes.

“It’s scary. I’m glad it was just a minor one,” said Melody Addis, who lives in Erda.

As she and her kids were heading to bed Saturday night, they felt a jolt.

“All of a sudden we just feel this major shaking going on,” said 13-year-old Branden Addis.

According to data from seismic monitors, their home was in the community closest to the epicenter of the quake, which is why they felt so much movement.

“It was really light. It just happened to be in an area where a lot of people live,” said Keith Koper, a seismologist at the University of Utah.

While the quake did not register high on the Richter scale, it was still fairly significant in Koper’s eyes.

Utahns attend Easter services

SALT LAKE CITY — Churches across Utah held Easter services Sunday, and Utahns of various faiths congregated to celebrate the holiday.

FOX 13 News spoke with religious figures at several Salt Lake City churches, see the video above for their comments on the celebration of Easter.

Thousands go the distance in Salt Lake City Marathon

SALT LAKE CITY – More than 7,000 people combined participated in the Salt Lake City Marathon, half marathon, bike tour and 5K Saturday, and the racers wound their way down a course that was new for this year.

The male and female winners in the open categories were both Utahns: Salt Lake City resident Fritz Van De Damp took first for the men with a time of 2 hours, 28 minutes and 18 seconds, marking his tenth first place finish, and Melanie Burnham from Lehi led the women with a time of 3 hours, 2 minutes and 55 seconds.

Full results for all events are available here. FOX 13 News’ Carly Figueora was live along the course, see the video above for her interviews with runners, as well as those who cheered them on.
[ooyala code="N3NjZjbToLrvC8RC8JSp2fmdoAc2GAGQ" player_id="3ce6404476914e86994d87aac3e4391b"]

Want to see Utah’s liquor store inventory? Click here

SALT LAKE CITY — Becky Rosenthal knows first-hand what it’s like to find a great drink on Utah liquor store shelves one day, only to find it gone the next.

“We’ve gone from store to store and bounced around until we’ve found the right thing,” said Rosenthal, who writes about food and drink in Utah on her website, theslcfoodie.com.

Recently, the Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control quietly made its inventory available online for everyone to see. Through a search engine tool on the DABC’s website, customers can look up a particular bottle or type of drink (say, “merlot” or “absinthe”) and view the brands and how many bottles are available at what liquor store in the state.

Pursuit after crash nets suspect with more than $250,000 in warrants

SALT LAKE CITY – A man who authorities said had more than $250,000 in outstanding warrants was arrested after he crashed his vehicle while fleeing from a routine traffic stop Friday morning.

The incident occurred along 1300 South near 300 West in Salt Lake City when officials pulled a westbound vehicle over for a routine stop.

Charlie Roberts, spokesman for the Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division, said one of their officers approached the vehicle after it had stopped, and as the officer approached the suspect drove away “at a high rate of speed.”

The suspect’s vehicle hit another car that was moving westbound on 1300 South and clipped a utility pole, which is when his vehicle stopped. The suspect then fled on foot toward the freeway and was apprehended. Salt Lake City police responded to the scene as the situation unfolded.

There were no injuries reported.